Friday, January 1, 2010

Book Review: The Angel's Game

The Shadow of the Wind became one of the most beloved books of last decade and it really came out of nowhere. I found out about it because Stephen King and Jim Huang raved endlessly about it. Sure enough everyone who read it agreed with them, including myself. Wind was written by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and he’s a popular Spanish author, which means it takes a little time to get an English translation. Well now his second book is out is finally out and…

I really like it. Zafón writes in such an addicting majestic style. Even though it takes over a hundred pages to really get the plot going, I’m with it for every page. The Angel’s Game is about a writer named David Martín living in Barcelona during the 1920s. He writes fun genre fiction for a living, but is approached by a mysterious French editor for a new project. I won’t ruin what the project is, but it’s intriguing to say the least. Much like Wind, Game is surrounded by a true love for books. The effect is intoxicating and it’s what spurred me to read this epic in wonderfully large chunks. The ending is not perfect, but it didn’t come close to discourage me into anticipating the next entry into the world Zafón created.

No comments:

Post a Comment