Sunday, October 18, 2009

2009 Anthony Award Winners

As I mentioned in my last post, I was the chair of the Anthony Awards for this year's BoucherCon. The convention concluded today and I had a blast. Sure, I'm comically exhausted but I'm proud of the work I did there, especially looking at the Anthony Awards. I honestly believe that this was a really really strong list of nominations and I'm very satisfied with all of the winners. What? Oh who won? Okay, I'll tell you.

Best Novel: The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly
Best First Novel: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Best Paperback Original: State of the Onion by Julie Hyzy
Best Short Story: "A Sleep Not Unlike Death" by Sean Chercover
Best Critical Nonfiction: Anthony Boucher: A Biobibliography by Jeffrey Marks
Best Childrens/Young Adult: The Crossroads by Chris Grabenstein
Best Cover Art: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo designed by Peter Mendelsund
Special Service Award: Jon and Ruth Jordan

The award this year was designed by Bright Ideas in Broad Ripple and I think it looks beautiful. It's a crystal book with the name of the award etched onto its "cover." Then a real magnifying glass is aimed in that direction all while on a nice piece of marble. Below are two pictures without the etchings on the crystal.


Truly, I'm so happy with how all of this turned out this year and I couldn't have done it without the great volunteers I've had and the most cooperative (and enthusiastic) nominees I could ask for. Thanks everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Austin, these are the most beautiful awards I have ever seen ;-) Just gorgeous. Thanks so much for everything you did to make Bouchercon so amazing. I had a wonderful time and - I have to tell you -everyone was commenting on what a fabulous event it was. Congratulations on such a great success.

    ReplyDelete